Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Vintage Vertical for Ollie

After much harassment from Melissa, a lovely contractor working with us, I succumbed and made this blanket for Oliver, her gorgeous 1 year old. The idea came from a posting on Attic24, the lovely Lucy, about a Vintage Vertical Stripe blanket she had started using Kool Kotton.
Vintage Vertical Stripe
A quick look in the local Kmart and I came across Patons Washed Haze Aran, a 50/50 cotton/acrylic mix. The colours were chalky and mixed enough not to look too babyish - he is a boy of 1 you know! Using the pattern from Bella Dia, linked by Lucy, and going absolutely insane, those who know me know I can not do random!!, I set forth on the journey of the Vintage Vertical Stripe.

Many hours later, and many movies later I must say, the blanket was finished. With the help of some medicinal Vodka and Coke I managed to survive the sewing in of the threads, 140 in all. The edge looked a bit bare so back to the local Kmart for extra red, Little Ollie's Mum has VERY red hair. A quick look through my 'The Art of Crochet' folder and I found this delightful 'Crab Stitch' border. It is amazing. It leaves picot edging for dead.

So 10 colours, 156 trebles per row, 140 tails vodka, hey presto Happy Birthday Little Ollie!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing blanket you made! I love the colors and the edging. Do you have a quick explanation of how the edging goes?
    Have a lovely Sunday,
    love Maaike

    ReplyDelete